Bulkamid is a homogenous hydrophilic gel consisting of 2.5% polyacrylamide and 97.5% water, which allows in-growth and proliferation of blood vessels originating from the periurethral tissue.
The Ideal Bulking Solution
- Homogenous (no solid particles)
- No immunogenicity
- Integrity of the material formulation
- Adequate viscosity
- Minimal fibrosis
- Little inflammatory response
- Volume is retained after injection
- Total incorporation in the tissue
- Mature network (tissue-red, polyacrylamide-blue)
- 14 months after injection
How does it work?
The bulking effect is directly dependent on the volume injected. As an integrated part of surrounding tissue the polyacrylamide hydrogel retains its bulking effect and visco-elasticity over time.
The procedure is performed under local anaesthesia with endoscopic control using the Bulkamid® Urethral Bulking System (see below). The patient is discharged after first normal voiding and the doctor will advise on any possible absence from work and resumption of everyday physical activities
Why is Bulkamid different from previous bulking agents?
- Bulkamid® is a non-degradable polyacrylamide hydrogel, consisting of 2.5% cross-linked polyacrylamide and 97.5% water
- Its bio compatibility allows total tissue integration
- Unlike the older particulate bulking agents, the clinical effect of Bulkamid® is due to the volume of gel injected, and not from a chronic inflammatory host response
Bulkamid® is an effective treatment for stress urinary incontinence (SUI)
- Clinical trials in Europe and North America have confirmed Bulkamid®’s efficacy
- Its safety has been demonstrated with over 30,000 procedures to date